The Alpha Plus Gold Standard is the Group’s vision of educational excellence. It informs individual school and college aims and objectives, and sets the standards to which Governors hold the Heads and Principals accountable. Governors are responsible for creating an ethos of high expectation; they monitor, evaluate, support and challenge the Heads and Principals and their Senior Leadership Teams.
Governance is concerned with providing insight, wisdom and good judgement. It requires Governors to know their schools, and to promote the importance of good leadership. In this way, Governors are able to ask and answer key questions:
- How well are we doing?
- How do we know?
- Is it good enough?
- What else do we need to do?
The three key responsibilities of the Governors are:
- To ensure that schools and colleges have clarity of vision, ethos, and strategic direction
- To hold the Head/Principal to account for:
- The educational performance of the school/college and its pupils
- Child welfare and protection
- The performance management of staff
- To oversee the financial performance of the school/college, and to ensure that resources are responsibly and effectively deployed. (Ref. Department for Education Governance Handbook 2015)
Alpha Plus also provides management and professional services to its schools and colleges.
There are five components to the Alpha Plus governance structure for schools and colleges:
- Educational Governance
- Line Management
- Operational Management
- Group Corporate Governance – overseeing i), ii) and iii) above
- The Alpha Plus Council – an educational advisory body